The boys just finished their mini May session of swim lessons at Teacher Lynda's Swim school. http://www.teacherlynda.com/ Bennett has been swimming since about 18 mos. while we were in NC, through the YMCA, but has swam year round since our move to Arizona. He loves the water and would almost rather be in the pool than anywhere else. He was so funny when they took their under water photos this time. He said, " momma I smiled under water this time"
Brayden has been swimming since around 18 months as well, since our move to Arizona. He cried, screamed, and threw tantrums you would not believe, but I stuck to it. We would pull off on Olive Ave. exit to head towards the pool and Brayden would begin crying and would not stop until his lessons were over. Finally when he was around 2 1/2 or so, he decided that this momma was not giving in and he had just better enjoy his time, so the crying stopped. This morning I gave him the choice of Vacation Bible School or swim lessons, and he said swim lessons! He loves the water and would spend hours there like a shriveled prune if we would let him.
Brayden has been swimming since around 18 months as well, since our move to Arizona. He cried, screamed, and threw tantrums you would not believe, but I stuck to it. We would pull off on Olive Ave. exit to head towards the pool and Brayden would begin crying and would not stop until his lessons were over. Finally when he was around 2 1/2 or so, he decided that this momma was not giving in and he had just better enjoy his time, so the crying stopped. This morning I gave him the choice of Vacation Bible School or swim lessons, and he said swim lessons! He loves the water and would spend hours there like a shriveled prune if we would let him.
And last but not least, Mr. Baylor began his lessons at the ripe old age of 8 months. He began swimming under water on the first day and cried quite a bit through the session. Today he had his 6th lesson and did not cry at all. He floated on his back and swam under and seemed to enjoy himself the whole half hour.
While I know there is no guarantee that the lessons will save our children's lives, it will certainly buy us a little time. We do not allow our kids in the pool without one of us in the water with them, and we have a 5ft. locked fence around our pool. Here in Arizona almost everyone has a pool and we just can't rely on the fact that all parents are as conscientious about water safety. We know this to be true as last summer while working around the pool, Brayden fell in and immediately flipped to his back and began to float and kick in place. Bennett said, " Oh look Brayden is doing his kicks" He did not panic and knew what to do. We are so thankful to Teacher Lynda and her staff for helping our boys learn about water safety and how to swim.
While I know there is no guarantee that the lessons will save our children's lives, it will certainly buy us a little time. We do not allow our kids in the pool without one of us in the water with them, and we have a 5ft. locked fence around our pool. Here in Arizona almost everyone has a pool and we just can't rely on the fact that all parents are as conscientious about water safety. We know this to be true as last summer while working around the pool, Brayden fell in and immediately flipped to his back and began to float and kick in place. Bennett said, " Oh look Brayden is doing his kicks" He did not panic and knew what to do. We are so thankful to Teacher Lynda and her staff for helping our boys learn about water safety and how to swim.






4 comments:
Those pictures are good and I cant believe they dont use goggles! Do they get red eyes? Kalyn wont go in the water without them now and I never used them, guess its whatever you are used to. Its neat to see them looking around under water! That is cute Bennett said he was doing his "kicks", how sweet!
Wow, I am impressed. We have not spent a lot time in the water. Brendan had swim lessons when he was smaller, but I have never been back. He is terrified of deep pools, which is better than being fearless...Good for your boys!! I love the pics.
I love those photos of Baylor in the white also, how adorable!!!!
That is super. We have 2 weeks of swim lessons in 2 weeks. Camille and Ben have had swim lessons for the past 2 years. I too think it is super important for these kids to know water safety! It will be interesting to see how much they remember from last year.
Those pictures are too cute! I can't believe Baylor's picture! Wow! That is wonderful that they are such good swimmers and good for you for making it a priority!
Post a Comment